What are the seller’s missions in the pet store? What training to follow to exercise this profession? What are his outlets and his salary? The answers are given to you by this profession sheet of salesman in pet store.
- 1 Profession of salesman in pet store
- 2 Where to work as a salesperson in a pet store?
- 3 Trends in the profession
- 4 Qualities of the salesperson in the pet store?
- 5 Training to become a salesperson in a pet store?
- 6 Possible evolution of the seller in a pet store
- 7 Salary of a pet store salesperson
- 8 Basic skills to get started
Profession of salesman in pet store
The pet store salesperson is the essential professional in stores specializing in the sale of pets and accessories dedicated to them.
Discover the profession in detail: mission, training, recruitment, retraining.
What is a pet store salesperson?
Nowadays, owning a pet is more and more common that the latter are classic (dog, cat, fish, birds…) or more exotic (snakes, lizards…).
This is why new companion animals (NACs) are constantly increasing in pet stores.
This development requires recruiting more and more qualified and versatile staff to fulfill all the tasks that will be entrusted to them.
Missions of the seller in pet stores
Passionate about animals, whom he meets on a daily basis, the missions of this professional are varied. Among these, we find:
- Maintenance of bedding for cages, aquariums and animals
- Customer advice
- Sale of animals, additional items and products
- Animal feeding
- Replenishment of shelves
Where to work as a salesperson in a pet store?
There are many places to practice for this professional:
- Stores specializing in the sale of live animals
- Pet department in garden centers, food supermarkets or DIY supermarkets
- Self-service agricultural
Trends in the profession
The enthusiasm of families for pets but also more original animals has a direct impact on the number of points of sale, which is constantly increasing. Job vacancies are therefore relatively numerous.
Qualities of the salesperson in the pet store?
Passion for animals
Most of the people who work in this profession have a specialty or a preference for one type of animal, but the seller must be able to take care of all the species in the pet store.
Interest in selling
Knowing how to develop a solid sales argument is essential in this profession. In addition, you have to know how to adapt to each client and keep your cool to face each situation.
Listening, friendliness, good oral expression… these human qualities are essential in this profession where interpersonal skills play a key role.
Be comfortable with numbers
When ordering, taking inventories or when he is at the cash desk, this sales professional must handle numbers with ease.
Impeccable dress and a smile on the lips are essential to inspire confidence and give a good image to customers.
A salesperson must be available since it is common to work weekends and holidays and to work overtime especially during sales or during the holiday season in distribution.
Essentially in small structures, the salesperson must be versatile in carrying out several missions: carrying out stock inventory, placing replenishment orders, collecting payments and posting the receipt at the end of the day.
Training to become a salesperson in a pet store?
Although this profession is accessible without a diploma, recruiters increasingly ask their staff for a certain qualification and therefore training.
There are therefore several ways to become a pet store salesperson.
- BPA (Brevet Professionnel Agricole) canine and feline breeding work
Baccalaureate standard :
- TCVA professional baccalaureate – sales and advice technician in animal shops
- Professional graduate driving and management of a company in the canine and feline sector
- BTSA TC – AEC – technical sales specialty animal breeding and companionship
There is also a CQP seller in the garden center, pet center option.
It is therefore possible to get started with the above trainings, nevertheless obtaining a certificate of competence is always recommended in order to be able to stand out from other people who apply.
- Certificate of capacity for domestic animals.
- Certificate of capacity for non-domestic animals.
- Training certificate in sales advice in animal shops.
Continuing education for adults also makes it possible to move towards the profession of salesman in animal shops by preparing for the baccalaureate pro or the BTSA indicated above but also the professional title of sales consultant in store of the AFPA.
You can also choose to take the attestation of knowledge for pets of domestic species (ACACED)
Possible evolution of the seller in a pet store
There are two possible evolutions to the profession of salesman in pet store.
Either, he chooses to develop his skills and specialize in a particular species.
Or, within the framework of internal promotion, he will be able to evolve as a department manager in a pet store, head of the pet store or even store manager.
Salary of a pet store salesperson
The average salary of a beginner pet seller revolves around the minimum wage. With developments and experience, this remuneration can change up to $ 1900 per month.
Basic skills to get started
- Welcoming a clientele
- Inform the client about animal breeds and lifestyles
- Advise the customer on items intended for animals and proceed with the sale
- Collect the amount of a sale
- Edit an invoice
- Offer an additional service to the sale
- Receive animals, check their condition, health record and distribute them in cages, aquariums
- Check the conformity of the delivery
- Carry out the shelving
- Identify animal disorders and symptoms and define the appropriate intervention
- Maintain the living space of an animal
- Collection procedures
- Sales techniques
- Customer type
- Animal biology
- Methods of analysis in parasitology
- Animal approach and handling techniques
- Gestures and postures handling
- Animal pathologies
- Rules of hygiene and cleanliness
- Principles of customer relations
- Business case
- Health risk prevention procedures
(Source: Code Rome)
Where to start your conversion from salesperson to pet store?
Changing your profession in favor of that of salesman in a pet store is not comparable to an opportunity that you can seize at the “right time”. It is a project, like any other, that you must anticipate by taking the necessary time. As Arthur Ashe once said, “One of the keys to success is self-confidence. One of the keys to self-confidence is preparation”…
Although this profession is accessible without a diploma, wanting to train, as a prelude to your professional retraining as a salesperson in a pet store, perhaps a salutary decision especially if you do not have any of the initial training previously listed or the skills indicated above.
Training can indeed be, to a certain extent, the key to a professional retraining as a salesperson in a pet store, but not necessarily because one thing is certain: retraining does not always rhyme with training.
It is best to take the time to prepare for your professional retraining by taking stock of your situation and your current skills. For this, calling on an expert in professional development could be an excellent prerequisite. This will expose your strengths and weaknesses in knowledge and skills, and therefore your actual (personalized) training needs, including the training organization that will meet those needs as precisely as possible.
How to finance your retraining?
There are different mechanisms to finance all or part of your retraining.