What are the missions of a pollution measurement technician? What training to follow to exercise this profession? What are his outlets and his salary? The answers are provided to you by this pollution measurement technician job sheet.
- 1 Pollution measurement technician profession
- 2 Qualities to become a pollution measurement technician
- 3 Training to become a pollution measurement technician
- 4 Possible developments of the pollution measurement technician
- 5 Salary of a pollution measurement technician
Pollution measurement technician profession
The pollution measurement technician collects the measurements and data provided by the air or water pollution capture and recording devices, and especially the maintenance of these stations.
Discover the profession in detail: mission, training, recruitment, retraining.
What is a pollution measurement technician?
In order to inform city dwellers, all towns with more than 100,000 inhabitants have equipped themselves with devices for measuring atmospheric pollution.
In the past, the pollution measurement technician was responsible for recording the measurements taken by the collection stations located in the city and its outskirts.
Today, with the development of new technologies, the transmission of data from pollution monitoring devices is often automatic, its role is mainly to ensure maintenance.
The pollution measurement technician works alone and travels in the field in order to tour the collection stations in the towns on which he works.
Missions of a pollution measurement technician
- May need to collect data from recording and capture devices
- Ensures the maintenance and proper functioning of air and water data collection and recording devices within the stations
- Controls air and water quality by detecting any presence of harmful elements
- Monitors the quality of discharges from industrial facilities into the air, waterways or groundwater
- Synthesizes the scientific data collected in order to provide the design engineer with information to alert the public authorities if the pollution rate exceeds pre-established safety standards
Where does the pollution measurement technician work?
The pollution measurement technician works within the AASQA, approved air quality monitoring associations.
Trends in the profession
In France (in metropolitan France and overseas), there are only 19 AASQA.
That of Ile de France (Airparif) employs 70 people but most only work with a single technician and engineer.
Places are therefore extremely rare.
Qualities to become a pollution measurement technician
The profession of pollution measurement technician requires several qualities and skills:
- Scientific, technical, electrical and electronic skills
- Good physical condition
- Esprit d’initiative
- Sense of responsibility
Training to become a pollution measurement technician
- BTS Industrial control and automatic regulation (CIRA)
- BTS Bioanalyses and controls
- BTS Physical techniques for industry and laboratory
- DUT Biological engineering option Biological and biochemical analyzes
- DUT Physical measurements
- DUT Industrial Engineering and Maintenance (GIM)
As part of a professional retraining, it is possible to become a pollution measurement technician through continuing education by preparing for the diplomas mentioned above.
Possible developments of the pollution measurement technician
After several years of experience, a pollution measurement technician can evolve in responsibilities and supervise several technicians by becoming sector manager.
He can also become head of the operations department and more rarely, researcher.
Salary of a pollution measurement technician
A pollution measurement technician earns on average 1,600 $ at the start of his career and 2,000 $ gross per month after a few years of experience.